On November 15, 1960, seven concerned Wall Township residents met to address the need for a second first aid squad in Wall Township. Al Shubeck, from Howell FAS, offered suggestions to Bill Hope, John Jupin, Bud Jackson, Richard Wyckoff, Art Krumm, Hank Jeck, and Ray Arroyo; soon, these volunteers became Wall Community First Aid Squad's first officers. A request to incorporate and be funded was directed to the township committee within thirty days, and by January 1961, Tom Hawkins, Charles Leimer, and Bill Case had joined the founders to spearhead fundraising.
Suitably on Valentine's Day of 1961, the "Powder-Puff Crew" (Eleanor Lukowitz, Laura Hallowell, Elinore Foege, and Gloria Hope) became a vital part of the new squad; around the same time, our sister squad, Wall First Aid, loaned us $1000 to begin the search for equipment. Our first ambulance was purchased from Howell First Aid (for only $200!) and a donation of $100 from the Wall Kiwanis allowed WCFAS to purchase first aid supplies. The Woman’s Club graciously donated a stretcher, while linens came courtesy of The Sisters from St. Denis Church.
Squad members hand-sanded and painted their first ambulance, which was then housed at local businesses until a permanent location was available. With the Wall Township Committee's gracious donation of our current lot on Lakewood Road, coupled with mortgage in hand, the excavation began ....
Now established, our first official call was the violent boiler explosion during bingo games at the West Belmar Fire Company. Our skills were put to the test!
The original building now houses two fully equipped ambulances, a first responder vehicle, and space for volunteers to conduct monthly meetings and drills. While the names and faces have changed over the years, the spirit of Wall Community First Aid Squad remains the same.